NSW Premier Mike Baird and Minister for Multiculturalism John Ajaka announced the winners of the 2016 Premier’s Multicultural Media Awards.
A series following the experiences of Syrian refugees resettling in Australia, reports of caste-based discrimination in Australia’s Indian community, and the opportunities faced by third generation Greek Australians were among the winning entries.
“The quality of this year’s nominations shows the strength of the state’s multicultural media sector and I congratulate all of tonight’s winners and finalists,” Mr Baird said.
“Our multicultural communities are better informed thanks to the work of our multicultural media outlets and I commend all of the winners, finalists and representatives of more than 100 media outlets here tonight,” Mr Ajaka said.
Winners of 2016 NSW Premier’s Multicultural Media Awards:
- Best Long Form Feature: Francesca Rizzoli – SBS Radio
- Best Story on Cultural Diversity: John Birmingham and Gina McKeon – SBS Australia
- Best Print Publication: The Australian Jewish News
- Best Student Work: Sejal Madan – Fiji Times
- Best Investigative Story: Joshua Levi – The Australian Jewish News
- Best Editorial/Commentary: Zia Ahmad – Australasian Muslim Times
- Best Image: Noel Kessel – The Australian Jewish News
- Best News Report: Joshua Levi – The Australian Jewish News
- Best Radio Report: Raymond Selvaraj and Kulasegaram Sanchayan – SBS Radio Tamil
- Best Community TV/Radio Report: Ana Sevo – Meraki TV
- Best Use of Social and Digital Media: The Australian Jewish News
- Best Creative and Innovative Design Winner: Bernard Sullivan – Charles Sturt University
- Emerging Journalist: Pri Kumar, The Indian Telegraph
- Lifetime Achievement: Armando Tornari OAM