The Australian Parliament House in Canberra is celebrating its 30th anniversary with an Open Day on October 6, 2018 from 9 am until 5pm. The building is one of the most recognisable buildings in Australia, visited by more than three-quarters of a million visitors a year.
Given that Sydney is only 3 and a half hours drive from Canberra, it will be great if you would run a piece about the Open Day on your media platform. If you need to interview someone, we will try to arrange for one suitable to your requirement.
There will be plenty to do, see, experience and eat! The public will be able to see behind the scenes of the building, such as the Chambers, take a peek into the Cabinet room, the Speaker’s and the President’s offices and enjoy the magnificent courtyards.
The day will start at 8 am with Yoga on the lawn and the door will open at 9am until 5pm. There is also a possibility for the public to be in the running to win one of only 15 Golden Tickets for the winner and a friend to experience Parliament House like never before. Terms and conditions will be posted on the Australian Parliament House website soon.
Some of the activities are:
- Yoga on the lawn
- Go behind the scenes
- See the Senate and the House of Representatives Chambers up close.
- Chat to some of our parliamentarians
- Try your hand as the Serjeant at Arms in a parliamentary role-play
- Channel your inner-politician in the intense glare of the cameras
- See LEGO Parliament House by Brickman
- Hear from journalist Paul Kelly at the inaugural Speaker’s Lecture
- Help put the AFP dogs through their paces
- Find Shawn the Prawn on the all-new kids trail
- Enjoy a BBQ in one of the pretty courtyards.
A free bus pick up service is available throughout the day, occurring every 30 mins from Parliament House, Government House, Floriade (Commonwealth Ave, Regatta Point), Civic (bus exchange) and Treasury Building carpark (park-n-ride).